[asterisk-users] Fw: RE:Nagios under *[solved]

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Sat Jun 20 02:07:31 CDT 2009

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009, Sriram wrote:

> Thanks for all your help, i followed your answers and found on that
> nagios was being run as user nagios....and if i executed the last
> command it asked for a password [i tried nagios password,root password
> etc] but it did not work..it the end i opened nagios.cfg and changed the
> NAGIOS_USER to root and changed the ownership permissons on the script
> also to root..I now get the correct status on the Nagios interface..

It would be better to run Nagios as nagios and add nagios to sudo so it
can execute "asterisk -nrx" as the user executing Asterisk. The following
line in /etc/sudoers should do the trick.

         nagios ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

This, unfortunately, will allow the nagios user (or anybody who hacks into
nagios) to execute any command as root, but it is safer than running
nagios as root.

Sudo has the facility to allow a user to execute a single command as
another user, I just don't know the syntax off the top of my head. Google
is your friend...

Something like:

         nagios ALL=(user-running-asterisk) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/asterisk

should get you close.

Thanks in advance,