[asterisk-users] Recompiling dahdi-linux after kernel update - To minimize downtime

Karl Fife karlfife at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 23:24:40 CDT 2009

After a kernel update (but before rebooting) Is there a way to recompile Zap/Dahdi against the new kernel?

My objective is to eliminate the additional downtime that occurs while recompiling/installing zap/dahdi after booting into the new kernel.

Please correct me if I'm wrong:
My understanding is that until you reboot (after a kernel update), recompiling zap/dahdi still compiles against the OLD kernel, and that's why zap/dahdi doesn't start after rebooting into the new kernel (even if you recompiled it just before rebooting).

So my question is:
Is there a method to recompile dahdi/zap against the new kernel such that the only downtime is the actual server bounce itself?  OR is the current best practice just to simply to reboot, recompile, restart?

Thanks in advance.

-Karl