[asterisk-users] Scaling

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Wed Jun 17 14:18:37 CDT 2009

On Jun 17, 2009, at 8:16 AM, Steve Totaro wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Quick question to the real world.
>
> Approx what specs would I need on server to handle 95 ZAP or Dahdi -
> > SIP gateway using G729 on the SIP to carrier side (nothing else,
> just media conversion)?
>
> Does the latest Asterisk/DAHDI significantly improve these numbers
> over say, Asterisk 1.2.X?
>
> Sure, there is plenty to read but nothing I could find quickly on my
> exact needs that was clear and I want to be fairly sure before
> ordering a server.
>
> Obviously load avg has something to do with it but CPU and mem seems
> to be the biggest factors.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Steve Totaro
> +18887771888 (Toll Free)
> +12409381212 (Cell)
> +12024369784 (Skype)

[Digium hat off, ITSP (previous employer) hat on.]

Not speaking for Digium on this one, but speaking from personal
experience at another company.

We could get 100 G.729 channels in a 2x3ghz P4 machine with plenty of
CPU room to spare, 4+ years ago, and that rule of thumb served us
well.  This was for SIP (G.711<->G.729) but I can't imagine that DAHDI
or Asterisk takes significantly more or less horsepower for this task
now for the base transcoding load.

JT

---
John Todd                       email:jtodd at digium.com
Digium, Inc. | Asterisk Open Source Community Director
445 Jan Davis Drive NW -  Huntsville AL 35806  -   USA
direct: +1-256-428-6083         http://www.digium.com/