[asterisk-users] Update Caller-ID after Dial()

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Tue Jun 16 11:18:18 CDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 13:02 +0200, Philipp Kempgen wrote:
> Can you confirm that currently there is no way to update the caller
> ID via the manager interface once the B leg is ringing or connected?

Correct.  Well, at least not with 1.6.0 or 1.6.1 or 1.6.2 branches.

> Looks like this would be feasible with the functions introduced in
> https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=8824 ("[patch] Remote (called)
> Party Identification - chan_sip & chan_skinny implementation").

Yes... that bug number spawned a *lot* of additional work for connected
party information (transmission, reception, and updates) that recently
went into the trunk of Asterisk.  Those features will be available in
the 1.6.3 branch of Asterisk, once it has been branched from trunk.

I think few people realize just how much work went into getting that
feature working in the core of Asterisk, so I'm going to tip my hat to
everyone that worked on it and say a big "thank you".

> Such functionality could be desirable in situations when a custom
> callerid number to name lookup takes more time than I am willing to
> spend before Dial()ing.

It would be desirable in *many* situations, which is why I'm really
looking forward to doing more with it in the next few months.

--
Jared Smith
Training Manager