[asterisk-users] Opinion on Attended transfer in features.conf

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Mon Jun 15 08:08:23 CDT 2009

Olivier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In 1.6.1, it seems Attended Transfer do not behave exactly behave like
> Blind Transfer when transferer hangs up before callee answers :
> - in Blind Transfer, caller (ie transferee) is hearing Ringing tone
> when callee's phone is ringing
> - in Attended Transfer, caller (ie transferee) is hearing Music On
> Hold when callee's phone is ringing
> - in Attended Transfer, if callee don't answer in a given time frame,
> call comes back to transferer again
>
> Bottom line is you still need to teach both Blind and Attended transfers.
>
> Is there a way to set Attended Transfer to mimic exactly Blind Transfer ?
> What could be a use case in which one would need Attended Transfer not
> to transform into a Blind Transfer ?

I have wondered for years now why someone thought there needed to be two
different transfer functions.
Transfer should be ONE function. If one wants to speak first to the
object of the transfer, then stay until they answer, otherwise hang up
and the transfer is completed.
Two independent transfers that have to start with different codes is
just awkward and dumb and long ago needed to be fixed.
I suppose it started life because someone had a weak knowledge of basic
telephony, but I really don't know.
Learn from history and improve on it.
When one reinvents the wheel, sometimes one ends up with an ellipse.

JMO

John Novack

> Regards

Dog is my co-pilot