[asterisk-users] PrivacyManager no longer working properly

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.to
Mon Jun 15 07:45:04 CDT 2009

Quoting Jaap Winius <jwinius at umrk.to>:

> Previously, I had the PrivacyManager working for me exactly as would
> be expected, but after upgrading the OS to Debian lenny and Asterisk
> to v1.4.21.2 that's no longer the case. Anonymous callers are still
> confronted with the PrivacyManager, but now no matter what I set the
> minlength value to, e.g.:
>
>          exten => jaap,n,PrivacyManager(1,1)
>
> ... (I'm not using a privacy.conf file), the submitted caller ID is
> always considered invalid.

This issue has been resolved, at least on my system.

After running some more tests, I discovered that the PrivacyManager
was only having problems with calls coming in via SIP; anonymous calls
incoming via ISDN were treated normally. The Asterisk version I was
using was from Xorcom (1.4.21.2~dfsg-3 for Debian lenny).

Thinking that the version might be a problem, I first decided to try
for an upgrade. I noticed that Xorcom had a major update in store for
me -- Asterisk v1.6.1.0~dfsg-1 -- but worried that the corresponding
replacement of zaptel with dahdi software would cause problems (I need
it to support my HFC-PCI card). Nevertheless, I gave it a try.

Bad idea. I wasted several hours late last night trying to get the
HFC-PCI card working working with dahdi, but without any luck. The
first thing I noticed was that the zaphfc module was still there (not
renamed), while the one that I prefer -- vzaphfc -- was not. To get
dahdi_genconf to work I found that it was important for dahdi_dummy be
loaded after zaphfc. That went fine, but then running dahdi_genconf
would lock up the system, with thousands of error messages flashing
across the server console:

    zaphfc: sync lost, pci performance too low. you might have some
    cpu throtteling enabled.

After a few of these lock-ups and reboots, I abandoned the upgrade.
Obviously, I'll try for it again at a later date, but I really do hope
that by that time I will discover that dahdi includes a working
equivalent of vzaphfc.

Not wanting to "go against the grain" by attempting to manually
reinstall and then freezing the older asterisk and zaptel packages
from Xorcom, which would certainly get me nowhere as far as my
privacymanager problem was concerned, I decided at this point to try
to install the stock version that comes with Debian lenny instead.
After installing all of the necessary packages, I saw that the HFC-PCI
card was working again, but so was the privacymanager (for both ISDN
and SIP). All of my problems were solved!

In hindsight, however, I see that I've been running the stock Debian
versions of Asterisk and Zaptel for lenny all along. I was running
v1.4.21.2~dfsg-3 before, just as I am now, but since Xorcom was until
recently only offering an older version for Debian lenny,
1.4.21.1~dfsg-0.5941, apt wasn't selecting it. The same can be said
for the Zaptel packages that I have installed now compared to before
(1.4.11~dfsg-3), except that before I also had an even older
zaptel-firmware package installed, 1.4.10.1-0.567, which must have
come from Xorcom. I don't think that it was influencing matters,
though, since the compiled zaptel-modules packages are still the same
version now as before.

So, how come the privacymanager is working 100% now? No idea. Thanks
to my fantastic backup system, I'm also using the same Asterisk
configuration files now as I was before. It's a mystery I guess. In
the mean time, I will see if I can acquire an extra HFC-PCI card from
somewhere and set up a new system with which to test Asterisk 1.6.

Cheers,

Jaap