[asterisk-users] IAX2 issue?

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Tue Jun 9 14:38:03 CDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 19:58 +0100, Steve Kennedy wrote:
> Just founnd a weirdy. My end is Asterisk 1.2.32 using an IAX2 link to
> the US.
>
> The IP address of the remote end changed (though in the config file it's
> registered as a name i.e. asterisk.remote.end), my system didn't
> recognised the IP change, it must be cached once and then the cached
> value used for ever.

It's my (limited) understanding that the IAX2 channel driver in Asterisk
1.2 caches any DNS names it resolves, and doesn't bother looking them
back up later.

Fortunately, that problem has been addressed in later versions of
Asterisk.  If I remember correctly, Asterisk 1.6.0 and later use the DNS
Manager (see dnsmgr.conf) to periodically re-resolve DNS names.

--
Jared Smith
Training Manager