[asterisk-users] Timeout when dialing dead peer

Stefan Schmidt sst at sil.at
Mon Jun 8 08:55:04 CDT 2009

Danny Nicholas schrieb:
> There is a timeout function in the Dial command.  The folks who wrote the
> command obviously felt that setting a programmatic limit on this would cause
> somebody a problem.  If you expect a reply from your SIP peer in 30 seconds,
> just do Dial(SIP/peer,30) and the line will disconnect in 30 seconds.

which will not work in the situation as benny wrote, when the primary
peers doesnt answer to any request coming from asterisk. so you will
have an 30 second timeout.

what i mean is the Sip internal timeout how long a peer is able to
answer to this sip packet, which per default is 30 seconds.

if you set the dial timeout lower than this sip timeout you will have a
lower waiting time, but as benny said, if the client answer too slow its
not handy to use.

<snip>
> Benny Amorsen schrieb:
>> If the first one dies completely, so that no error messages
>> (no ICMP unreachables or anything) are returned, Asterisk does not
>> continue in the dial plan but just gets stuck on that one Dial(). I can
>> of course put a time out in the Dial(), but then one call will turn into
>> two calls if the person at the other end is too slow to answer their
>> phone, so this is not very handy.

</snip>

i made a mistake in asterisk ver. 1.6.2.b2 you are able to setting the
sip timers of your own see the sip.conf sample from this version below:

;--------------------------- SIP timers
; These timers are used primarily in INVITE transactions.
; The default for Timer T1 is 500 ms or the measured run-trip time between
; Asterisk and the device if you have qualify=yes for the device.
;
;t1min=100                      ; Minimum roundtrip time for messages to
monitored hosts
                                ; Defaults to 100 ms
;timert1=500                    ; Default T1 timer
                                ; Defaults to 500 ms or the measured
round-trip
                                ; time to a peer (qualify=yes).
;timerb=32000                   ; Call setup timer. If a provisional
response is not received
                                ; in this amount of time, the call will
autocongest
                                ; Defaults to 64*timert1