[asterisk-users] Timeout when dialing dead peer

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Mon Jun 8 06:32:59 CDT 2009

A regular Dial(somepeer) to a SIP peer which doesn't reply at all seems
to not time out, or at least have a very long time out.

We have a set up where we can dial two different peers, a primary and a
backup peer. If the first one dies completely, so that no error messages
(no ICMP unreachables or anything) are returned, Asterisk does not
continue in the dial plan but just gets stuck on that one Dial(). I can
of course put a time out in the Dial(), but then one call will turn into
two calls if the person at the other end is too slow to answer their
phone, so this is not very handy.

It is possible that qualify would help, but it is not a very nice
answer -- Asterisk's use of SIP OPTIONs is non-standard, and it can
impose a significant load on the peer.

It would be good if Asterisk would give up after not receving any reply
after a configurable interval.

/Benny