[asterisk-users] CDR question

Steve Murphy murf at parsetree.com
Sun Jun 7 20:46:14 CDT 2009

Jim--

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 1:40 AM, Jim Boykin <boykinjim at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Asterisk does not post CDR when dial status is CHANUNAVAIL.

CDR's are, at the current time, and always have been attached to the channel
struct;
so, if you don't create a channel, then there is nowhere to attach a CDR,
and no way
to process that.

> Can someone tell me what are the conditions under which CDR is not posted?

We try to filter the CDR if a channel were created, but did nothing; an
example is
where a Dahdi device is taken off hook, and then hung up again. But getting
all the
conditions right has been tricky to filter this sort of event sequence.

I think you'll find that CDR's are one of the least solid parts of Asterisk
at the moment.
There's brave and creative folks working on fixing the current
implementation, but
as far as I'm concerned, it's got some fundamental problems, and needs to be

overhauled. If you are interested, you can read my spec for a new approach
by:

svn co http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/team/murf/RFCs

and then looking at the pdf in that dir, for my spec for the CEL->CDR
proposal.

While I have abominated the complexity of the ForkCDR/NoCDR/etc mechanisms
of the current solution, I have considered making the spec include them for
backward
compatibility... Current implementations based on the current mechanisms
shouldn't
have to be made obsolete, although they usually do depend on a great deal of
undocumented
behavior, that may be tricky to imitate.

murf

--
Steve Murphy
ParseTree Corp