[asterisk-users] Digium Fax Driver

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Sun Jun 7 19:39:50 CDT 2009

Tilghman Lesher wrote:
>> What's the use case for the Digium
>> driver? Am I missing something by not using it?
>>

> While they accomplish the same goal, the commercial driver is based upon
> a different codebase,

Ok.

> provides support for patented fax protocols,

Really?  V.34-fax (33,600 bps) is supported?  I had understood differently.

> and enjoys
> far more testing than Steve can reasonably do for an unpaid side project

I can't speak for how much testing the T.38 or T.30 sides to spandsp
have had.  However, the T.31 and V.17, V.29, V.27ter, and V.21 aspects
have undergone a *tremendous* amount of testing and development scrutiny
(as these are used in IAXmodem).  I am aware of single installations
that communicate successfully with very arbitrary kinds of fax machines
in the USA which alone have communicated several millions of pages of
fax in the last two years.  If there ever is a problem (and it is
extremely rare) I hear about it.

So I don't know of what kind of testing you speak, but I would caution
you to reserve judgment simply on the basis that it is "an unpaid side
project".

Thanks,

Lee.