[asterisk-users] Asterisk AGI issues (at high load)

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 11:31:20 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Deepak <dlalmtl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, we are experiencing a strange issue and I am hoping someone can point me
> to the right direction or help out with some pointers.
>
> We have asterisk 1.6.0.6 with a sangome a104DE card. We have basically 4
> T1's for a total of DAHDI 96 channels.
>
> We have an agi application (php) that acts as a kind of a calling card
> application.
>
> All users are SIP users that make calls and asterisk then bridges the calls
> over T1 to the PSTN (after running agi script). Codec between SIP clients
> and Asterisk is G729 (96 G729 licenses installed on Asterisk).
> System has 12 GB of RAM.
>

> What we are seeing is the following:
>
> 1) All is fine till about 70 calls (70 active calls as displayed by core
> show channels). But as soon as traffic increases, we see the the a lot of
> AGI Processes are running and the number of active calls keeps on GROWING to
> 120, 130, ... . THis makes no sense since we can have a maximum of 96 active
> calls (4 T1). People calling start experiencing delays (10-15 seconds before
> calls are answered or connected, etc.). Upon doing a "ps -ef" we see a lot
> of AGI processes running that seem to keep growing

There could be a number of external constraints that are causing this.
One that comes to mind to is something waiting for a database
connection, then all the other processes that are waiting for the
database pile up and can't exit until they get their turn.

Do you have a max number of connections on your database? How does the
AGI know what to do based on the 'calling card information'? I'm
guessing you store all that in a database, then deduct what the caller
uses, etc.

You may also enjoy http://us3.php.net/set_time_limit