[asterisk-users] Asterisk AGI issues (at high load)

Deepak dlalmtl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 11:15:15 CDT 2009

Hi, we are experiencing a strange issue and I am hoping someone can point me
to the right direction or help out with some pointers.

We have asterisk 1.6.0.6 with a sangome a104DE card. We have basically 4
T1's for a total of DAHDI 96 channels.

We have an agi application (php) that acts as a kind of a calling card
application.

All users are SIP users that make calls and asterisk then bridges the calls
over T1 to the PSTN (after running agi script). Codec between SIP clients
and Asterisk is G729 (96 G729 licenses installed on Asterisk).

System has 12 GB of RAM.

What we are seeing is the following:

1) All is fine till about 70 calls (70 active calls as displayed by core
show channels). But as soon as traffic increases, we see the the a lot of
AGI Processes are running and the *number of active calls *keeps on GROWING
to 120, 130, ... . THis makes no sense since we can have a maximum of 96
active calls (4 T1). People calling start experiencing delays (10-15 seconds
before calls are answered or connected, etc.). Upon doing a "ps -ef" we see
a lot of AGI processes running that seem to keep growing

2) At that state, if we "Decrease" traffic, the *number of active
calls*starts going down and the system becomes "normal" again.

3) What we are seeing are NOT Zombie processes though. It is "as-if" AGI
processes are not exiting when traffic increases. But as soon as traffic
decreases things become normal.

4) We did follow standard suggestions for AGI scripts (exit, Softhangup,
etc)

5) We checked and the CPU utilization seems to be 25% idle at high loads..
so it does not seem like a CPU issue. We have a dual core 3.0GHz intel
processor and based upon benchmarking info, we should be easily able to
handle 96 calls (with transcoding).

6) We see that each AGI process takes up 149 MB of Virtual Memory when it is
forked for each call.

7) Asterisk is taking up 500 MB Of VM.

*Any* suggestions/help will be appreciated and I'd be happy to even pay if
someone is ready to help us resolve this issue we are having.

Thanks