[asterisk-users] 400 calls at g711 how much cpu power

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Tue Jun 2 16:54:55 CDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 22:46 -0500, Erick Perez wrote:
> So if we use the 40MHZ rule, we are talking about 40*400=16000MHZ or
> 1.6Ghz.

It's been my experience that CPU load of Asterisk don't scale linearly
with call volume.  I don't pretend to understand all the reasons why,
but it probably has a lot to do with call structures inside of Asterisk.
For example, searching a linked list is simple when there are only a few
items in the list, but the more items that get added to the list, the
more CPU time it takes to finish the task, on average.

I know the Asterisk developers spent a lot of time and effort improving
the performance of the internal structures between the 1.4 branch and
the 1.6.0 branch... if I were you, I'd at least give the 1.6.0 branch a
shot.

--
Jared Smith
Training Manager