[asterisk-users] Realtime LDAP passwords

Gavin Henry gavin.henry at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 16:14:09 CDT 2009

2009/6/2 John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com>:
> Thanks.  I do appreciate the input as I am jumping into the deep end as
> I said :)
>
> On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 21:43 +0100, Gavin Henry wrote:
>> 2009/6/2 John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com>:
>> > <grin> OpenLDAP isn't an option. And thanks very much for all the
>> > hands on.  I am planning that the users ultimately interface SIP to
>> > Kamailio and use Asterisk for the call tree, voice mail, conference,
>> > etc.  I was assuming they would need to authenticate to Asterisk as well
>> > as Kamailio but I suppose it may be more a matter of Asterisk trusting
>> > Kamailio rather than the individual users.  I would also assume voice
>> > mail passwords will be very different from user passwords as they should
>> > be designed to be entered from a phone keypad rather than a keyboard (I
>> > told you I'm a real Asterisk newbie!).  I guess I'll find out as I start
>> > to set it up.
>>
>> OK, depends how you set it up. You might not authenticate at all like
>> some ITSPs do (based on IP). Is this for your company?
> We are launching a new company whose primary product is a complete,
> hosted, virtualized environment including desktops for micro-businesses,
> charitable organizations, schools, and municipalities.  Unexpectedly,
> though not surprisingly, our initial customers are asking for a VoIP
> solution utilizing the same infrastructure. Hence the plunge into VoIP.
> We will be contracting with an ITSP for SIP trunking into our data
> center and need to set up the whole shooting match.

OK, to be honest then, since it's for a commercial solution and you're
so new, I'd buy something.

I've seen:

http://www.sipwise.com/index.php/products?start=2
http://www.asipto.com/
http://www.voice-system.ro/

I prefer the last one, but all vary on price and the money spent will
be saved on your dev time and learning curve. Then send yourself to
the training course. That way you know all the loop holes are closed
to allowing fraudulent calls etc.

>>  I committed a patch for voicemail passwords in the Asterisk LDAP
>> schema last week, so you'll need svn for that:
>>
>> https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=15155
>>

>> > As I want to build it piecemeal and add complexity rather than diving
>> > into the end product (RTPProxy, Kamailio, Asterisk, FreePBX with
>> > interaction as described above), any suggestions on whether I should
>> > build and test Kamailio or Asterisk first? Thanks - John
>>
>> So, Asterisk and FreePBX? Why both?
> >From looking at the press release for AsteriskNOW (which I don't plan to
> use as I'd like a little tighter control over the system), it appears
> FreePBX and Asterisk 1.6 are a nice pairing and might ease some of our
> administration.  Just going on what I'm reading and not experience.

Sorry, I thought I read FreeSWITCH!

http://www.suretecsystems.com/services/openldap/
http://www.suretectelecom.com