[asterisk-users] Asterisk maximum user

Brandon B. brandon at brellsystems.com
Tue Jun 2 11:12:58 CDT 2009

I think you are looking at this incorrectly, First, if you are
seriously looking at thousands of calls, you won't want to be doing
this without the help of somebody who is experienced with Asterisk and
knows how to solve scaling issues. Secondly, a TDM call between two
PRI channels is going to involve very little overhead, and you
probably could theoretically handle many hundreds of calls (perhaps
even a thousand) like this in a single Asterisk system. But, since
that is very expensive to do because PRI ports are not cheap, that is
probably not what you are doing with your low end single CPU Asterisk
system. Software echo cancellation and transcoding between audio
codecs will cost a lot of CPU time, while call recorded will use a
high level of hard disk I/O, so thse issues must be considered.
Assuming no CPU transcoding, no CPU echo cancelling and no call
recording, your worry should be about likely capacity of a single
server given your specifics and then scaling issues (i.e. I have a
1/2/4/8/16 CPU Asterisk server handling many calls, but the CPU load
is spiking above 2/2/4/8/16. How do I scale to 2+ servers?).

Some capacity hints: assuming SIP telephones over a high bandwidth
network (g.711 codec by all SIP devices) and multiple SIP or PRI
trunks for connecting calls to the PSTN, you might solve this problem
by using a modern quad CPU server with redundant power supplies and
redundant hard disks and configure 100 SIP phones per server with a
Quad port PRI card (TE420B) or SIP trunking for PSTN connections. This
might work for a business if the system will hit 50% capacity often
with capacity spikes of 75% possible. If the number of calls will
normally reach 10% of capacity, you might be able to configured 5
times more SIP phones/users per server.

Brandon.