[asterisk-users] Call quality - how to debug

Adrian Marsh Adrian.Marsh at ubiquisys.com
Tue Jun 2 10:47:31 CDT 2009

Hi Dave,

You're quite right, it's a dedicated down and uplink to my ISP, and
Gradwell also has fibre connection into that ISP (so short hop to them)

The reason I don't think it's the fiber link, is that Asterisk recorded
the conversation as two channels. IN (from Gradwell), and OUT (from the
Cisco phone, that's on the same LAN as the asterisk server).  And I hear
distortion on both sides, at the same time.  As thats what asterisk
"hears", and that part of the call is a same-LAN RTP stream, pre-ISP,
then that's why I don't think it's the IAX link.

That said, I've not got complaints from users making internal calls.  So
my thinking was maybe its an IAX/SIP conversion thing

As a test, I've switched my account, and the problem account to inbound
SIP, to see if that makes a difference. That makes it 100% SIP.

Next step, memory upgrade and the A*k upgrade.

Thanks,

Adrian