[asterisk-users] Call quality - how to debug

Adrian Marsh Adrian.Marsh at ubiquisys.com
Tue Jun 2 08:14:16 CDT 2009

Hi All,

I've a 1.4.15 A*k server supporting several users (approx 80 total, but
<10 sim calls usually).  I've one user who complains of intermittent bad
calls, though I suspect the bad calls are across the board, but
intermittent.

Inbound calls are via in IAX trunk from Gradwell. CPU stats say that
Asterisk never uses more than 4-5% cpu, systems idle besides that.
Memory seems ok too. Network utilisation is < 300kbps.  The voice
network (clients + server) sit on their own dedicated 100Mb switches.
Stats from the switch say its lightly loaded.

I've turned on voicefile recording.  What we hear, when there is a bad
call, is stuttered speech, from BOTH sides (so local SIP client, and
remote IAX inbound call).

Debug from asterisk just shows the call inbound, answered and then hung
up as per normal.

I'm at a loss of how to debug the voice issue further, without putting a
wireshark PC on the switch, port-mirroring the server and then capturing
all of the traffic in a round-robin-type capture and even then I'm not
sure what that will achieve.

I'm going to switch from IAX to SIP for the inbound calls for that user
and see if that helps.

Any ideas welcome,

Thanks

Adrian