[asterisk-users] SVN vs "Regular" Asterisk

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Mon Jun 1 14:54:20 CDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 11:02 -0500, Danny Nicholas wrote:
> What branch does the SVN release roughly equate to?

Let me see if I can help clear things up here...

Imagine, if you will, a tree growing in a forest.  It has a nice sturdy
trunk, and a few branches.  As time goes on, the tree gets taller (from
the top of the tree), but the branches stay at the same height relative
to the ground.

Now that you have this image in your head, let me explain a bit about
Subversion and Asterisk development.  In Asterisk, developers add new
features to the trunk of SVN.  This changes on an almost daily basis,
and always contains the very latest changes to Asterisk.  You can check
out the trunk of Asterisk by typing "svn co
http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/trunk".

In addition to the trunk, our SVN repository has branches as well.
There's a branch for 1.4, one for 1.6.0, one for 1.6.1, etc.  Along
these branches, we try to only apply bug fixes and not new features.
Tarball releases of Asterisk are made from these branches, not from the
trunk. So, for example, the only differences between 1.6.0.8 and 1.6.0.9
would be bug fixes.  (From time to time a new feature will be backported
if it helps to solve an existing bug, but this is a rare exception to
the rule.)  So, let's look at the 1.6.0 branch for a minute.  If you
were to check out the 1.6.0 branch using Subversion ("svn co
http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/branches/1.6.0"), you'd essentially
end up with 1.6.0.9 plus any bug fixes that have been applied since the
1.6.0.9 release.

Does that make sense?

--
Jared Smith