[asterisk-users] extensions not being detected consistently

Terry Nathan tnathan at aiinc.ca
Mon Jun 1 14:47:22 CDT 2009

G'afternoon everybody,

I'm having a problem with consistently being able to ring our extensions
from an outside line. I don't have a problem reaching the number, but
during our calls to Background(msg) that I am having a problem. It seems
to be an issue with timing. If I press the extension towards the end of
the Background(msg) the it often works. However, in the middle of the
message it will not work at all.

What is also strange is that I can dial an extension any time if I call
from one of our ip phones. This seems to be strictly a problem with
regular phones, then the timing of dialing the extension becomes important.

The fact that the ip phones always work seems to suggest that I need to
look at tone detection, but after googling and searching the bowels of
every conf file I could find, I haven't found any magic bullet.
I should mention that the first call to Background() usually works, even
for the regular phones, I think this is because it is short enough that
the timing of dialing the extension is relatively easy.

I don't know if it is significant or not but it seems that once a callee
tries to dial an extension and it doesn't work, even the next few calls
will also not work. And similarly, sometimes it works and then a few
calls will go through, but then it will go back to not detecting
properly again. Asterisk is running on its own box and there is nothing
unusual happening with the system, or even people on other lines, that
is happening.

Checking the log files when I call in Asterisk tells me that either it
only detects 1 of the 3 digits (usually the second or third one) or, if
I dial the extension at a different point in the message, that the first
digit was pressed twice e.g. '22' instead of just '2'. The inconsistency
of the problem is starting to drive me bonkers as I can't accurately
nail down the problem.

Ideally I'd like our callees to be able to dial an extension as soon as
the call to Background() is hit in the context, from any phone that
calls in, not just ip phones. My setup is an installation of
asterisk-now (Centos 5 with Asterisk 1.4.24)

If anyone has seen a problem like this before or has even an inkling of
what it might be, that would be awesome :D Thanks in advance.

My dial plan:

[incoming-our-number]

exten => s,1,Answer
exten => s,n,NoOp(incoming-our-number)
exten => s,n,Background(cassandra/CustomWelcomeMessage)       ****This
line is usual fine, I think because the message is short enough that
timing the dialing of the extension is less of an issue.
exten => s,n,GotoIfTime(09:00-17:30,mon-fri,*,*?open)
exten => s,n,Wait(0.5);
exten => s,n,Background(cassandra/OfficeHours)
exten => Wait(10)
exten => s,n(open),NoOp(open)
exten => s,n,WaitExten(0.5);
exten => s,n,Set(TIMEOUT(digit)=10)
exten => s,n,Set(TIMEOUT(response)=15)
exten => s,n,Background(cassandra/NextRep)
      ****This is the line where I have a problem with dialing an
extension. The timing is very fickle and heaps of our callees cannot get
to the right extension properly.
exten => s,n,WaitExten(10,m[default])

exten => s,n,Macro(dial-us)
exten => s,n,Macro(hangupcall)