[asterisk-users] SVN vs "Regular" Asterisk

Philipp Kempgen philipp.kempgen at amooma.de
Mon Jun 1 14:44:09 CDT 2009

David Backeberg schrieb:
> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Danny Nicholas <danny at debsinc.com> wrote:

>>              Can someone shed some light on the pros and cons of working
>> with the SVN branches of Asterisk vs working in the 1.4 or 1.6 branches?
>> What branch does the SVN release roughly equate to?
>
> What do you mean by 'working with'?
>
> If you are developing asterisk code, as in changes to the source code
> of asterisk, the benefits are that you know whether:
> a) anybody else has already made the changes you want to make
> b) your changes merge successfully with the latest code
>
> If you plan to make your changes available to the community, you are
> better off developing against SVN, as that is where your patches will
> eventually have to be applied.
>
> If you are just compiling and using asterisk, the benefit is that you
> are getting the very latest features, including bug fixes that may not
> yet be in a release.

If you want to be sarcastic you could also say:
... the downside is that you are getting the very latest bugs,
including bugs that may not yet be in a release. ;-)

> By definition, SVN is ahead of the next release.

True, assuming you're talking about trunk or branches.
(Tags are the same thing as releases.)

> You can answer for yourself what SVN equates to by navigating the
> tree, but I would characterize it as 1.6.2plus

    Philipp Kempgen
--
AMOOMA GmbH - Bachstr. 126 - 56566 Neuwied  ->  http://www.amooma.de
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Wintermeyer, Handelsregister: Neuwied B14998