[asterisk-users] CPU usage vs compiler flags

Miguel Molina mmolina at millenium.com.co
Mon Jun 1 09:23:48 CDT 2009

Hi all,

I just upgraded a production server to asterisk 1.4.25, compiling with
the following:

                              [*] 1.  DONT_OPTIMIZE
                              [*] 2.  DEBUG_CHANNEL_LOCKS
                              [*] 3.  DEBUG_THREADS
                              [*] 4.  DEBUG_FD_LEAKS
                              [ ] 5.  LOW_MEMORY
                              [*] 6.  MALLOC_DEBUG
                              [ ] 7.  RADIO_RELAX
                              [ ] 8.  STATIC_BUILD
                              [ ] 9.  IAX_OLD_FIND
                              [*] 10. LOADABLE_MODULES

Do this options make asterisk consume much more CPU? My feeling is that
asterisk is consuming an average of 30% more CPU than before. I'm doing
this because the last upgrade to 1.4.23.1 was no good for me in terms of
overall stability, so if this time it core dumps again or something I
can have good debug information. Could you please give some advice, run
it this way for a while and if it shows good stability compile again
without the debug/non-optimization flags?

By the way, I'm upgrading because the 1.4.22 asterisk had memory leak
symptoms, and there are bugs solved for this and other issues, specially
chan_local ones which we use a lot, so basically is to benefit of 6
months of bug fixes.

Thanks in advance,

--
Ing. Miguel Molina