[asterisk-users] Understanding Call Handling In Asterisk

varun.rapelly at spectross.com varun.rapelly at spectross.com
Mon Jun 1 05:32:34 CDT 2009

The scenario I was expecting was:

When Ext. A & B are in speech and A is getting call wait beeps from C.
Now if Ext. A hangs up, C's call will not be transferred to B but will come
as
a new call to A. Well if A hangs up after answering C (B on hold), then C's
call
would be transferred to B when A hangs-up.

Another point to be noted is when A & B are in speech. Either A could call C
by putting B on hold 'or' C could call A & present itself as a call-waiting.
The maximum loop count will never exceed 2 i.e. at any time you would
at-most have one active call & one call being held.

Hence, either ways if the second call be an incoming or an outgoing transfer
shall
never occur without the will of transferer ;-).

>>    2. How could the extension that received call-wait beeps initiate a
>>    three-way conference with the other extensions (A, B & C in three-way
>>    conference)? I expected this feature to be available in Asterisk as
>> this is
>>    a very normal feature available on any PBX and used extensively in
>> 3-way
>>    Call Conference.
>>

> Again, this is NOT a feature available on any analogue PBX that I am aware
> of.  If it were, this would, again, mean that you may get unwanted parties
> connected together.  With the above example, you answer your girlfriend's
> call while talking to your wife, and all three of you end up in the same
> conference.

What I was expecting is: 3-way conference would never be intiated by
pressing
another flash but with a special key sequence (Feature Access Code /
Flash + some dtmf digit). Suppose A & B were in speech and A is getting
call wait beeps from C. Now if A presses "flash", the call is toggled i.e. A
& C are
brought in speech and B is placed on hold. Subsequent "flashes", would also
have a similar behaviour. Well if A dials special key sequence (Feature
Access
Code / Flash + some dtmf digit), then a 3-way conference would be
established.

Again this can never happen accidentally.