No subject

Sun Jul 19 19:54:31 CDT 2009

honored by DSCP (first 5 bits)- even old equip should be DSCP
"compatible"...or I need to do more reading :)

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Dave Fullerton
Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2009 3:01 PM
To: Asterisk Users List
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] QOS/DSCP for IAX?

Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> I actually see the TOS setting in iax.conf, but the default (commented
> out) is EF - which doesn't even match a valid bit combination
> according to voip-info wiki
>
> If this is the right place, what TOS value are people using
> succesfully over an ADSL connection?
>
>   _____

Yes the tos setting is the right place and EF is an acceptable value. EF is
the differentiated services code point (or dscp) for expedited forwarding.
The sample sip.conf defaults tos_audio to EF as well. The iax.conf wiki page
only shows the old type of service values which are considered deprecated.
Look at this page for more info on diffserv:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/DiffServ

As for what to use, well, that depends on whether your upstream provider
even honors what you set. They may use the old type of service values, they
may use dscp or they may ignore what you put there entirely.

-Dave