[asterisk-users] HPEC > VPM ?

John Novack novackster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 17:44:38 CDT 2009

Noah Miller wrote:
>>> Next question: does anybody know how to handle extremely long tail
>>> echo that a VPM module cannot?
>>>
>> How long is 'long' in this case? The VPMs and HPEC (and OSLEC) can
>> handle 128ms echo tails, which is pretty darn long. It's rare to see an
>> echo tail longer than that except on very high latency connections, or
>> when the echo is actually acoustically generated by the far end and not
>> by network effects.
>>

> I haven't done any real measurement on it, but I believe it's actually
> longer than 128ms.  As I go higher and higher with echocancel values,
> the echo does get better, but is never totally eliminated.  At
> echocancel=1024, there is still rather pronounced echo on calls in the
> "local" exchanges.  The calls are also more or less half-duplex at
> that point because the vpm is filtering out so much of the signal as
> echo.
>
> I may just tell the client to look at a partial PRI.  All this echo
> chasing is getting costly for them.
>

> Thanks!
> Noah

In cases of really short loops, a loading network has really helped.
Artificial cable  networks can be designed and inserted in 1/4 mile
increments.
We have quite a few users using Asterisk directly connected to station
lines or incoming selectors with effective loop lengths of a few feet
have used artificial cable networks of 1 to 3 miles with great results.
Needless to say, this requires an understanding of basic telephony, some
electrical engineering and use of stable capacitors and inductors which
may be beyond the ability of many.
Country and existing loop length, type of cable loading, if any, are all
variables to take into consideration, as well as the specific card involved.
the condition certainly can be improved, even with the old X100 card!

John Novack

--
Dog is my co-pilot