[asterisk-users] Possibly I don't understand sip peers

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Wed Jul 29 08:47:18 CDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 16:06 -0700, Bruce Ferrell wrote:
> I have a carrier who tells me he will be sending me traffic from a wide
> range of IP addresses.
>
> so I set up a realtime peer as follows:
>
> [peer]
> defaultip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> host=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> deny=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
> allow=xxx.xxx.xxx.0/255.255.255.0
> insecure=port,invite
>

> Yes, he's really claiming to originate from any of the IP in the block
>
> When I leave the host blank, we reject calls with a 404.
>
> shouldn't I be able to put in a kind of "wildcard" for his IP block or
> am I just being silly?  If not, what am I doing wrong?

I think you've got your syntax wrong there... "permit" and "deny"
statements are used to create Access Control Lists and to limit the IP
address ranges.  The "allow" and "disallow" statements are to allow or
disallow various codecs.  They way you've specified it above, you're
allowing a codec called xxx.xxx.xxx.0/255.255.255.0, which probably
isn't what you want.

--
Jared Smith
Training Manager