[asterisk-users] SIP vs Analog lines

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed Jul 29 02:44:42 CDT 2009

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, John F. Ervin wrote:

> Never having actually rolled an Asterisk (Trixbox in my case) system
> into production.  I was wondering if in most peoples opinion if given
> the choice would rather have a straight VOIP/SIP system or would rather
> have a system with normal POTS/analog types lines and something like a
> digium card?  As far as reliability etc.  Thoughts?

A lot may well depend on where you are in the world, how reliable the
local PSTN is vs. the local broadband - or leased line service. There will
be a cost trade-off too - VoIP over broadband generally being cheaper than
installing multiple POTS/ISDN2/ISDN30 connections, but for a slightly
lower guarantee of service.

Here in the UK we have a generally excellent wholesale (ADSL) broadband
system, let-down at times by the back-end ISPs who buy into it, so picking
a good back-end ISP is worth it.

And how many channels or concurrent calls are you looking at?

So too many variables to give a definate answer, but personally I'm
installing more and more pure VoIP systems these days. Even when the
client wants/needs to keep their legacy PSTN, we use the PSTN for inbound
and VoIP for outbound calls.

Gordon