[asterisk-users] SIP vs Analog lines

Miguel Molina mmolina at millenium.com.co
Tue Jul 28 20:13:11 CDT 2009

John F. Ervin escribió:
> Never having actually rolled an Asterisk (Trixbox in my case) system
> into production.  I was wondering if in most peoples opinion if given
> the choice would rather have a straight VOIP/SIP system or would
> rather have a system with normal POTS/analog types lines and something
> like a digium card?  As far as reliability etc.  Thoughts?
I'd go VoIP without thinking twice. We are on the 21st century! Many
technological efforts that have been made through all this years have
been directed to bring telephony to the IP world. Asterisk has played
and keeps playing a pretty nice role on the open source market we are
in. VoIP will be as reliable and good quality as your network is. The
savings of not having to make double phone/data cabling and the
advantages of VoIP are now a standard worldwide, from carriers to small
home PBXs.

Analog lines are definitely legacy. The last time I put a T1 channel
bank into use was more than two years ago, and never had to configure
another one since then.

Cheers,

--
Ing. Miguel Molina