[asterisk-users] Misunderstood thing

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 20:07:23 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 8:53 PM, Tseveendorj<tseveendorj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm novice on the SIP protocol also on Asterisk. Could someone explain
> me why the Asterisk is using username and secret config on peer connection?

Because with any authentication, any system that can connect to your
system can initiate calls. This is considered a 'bad thing'.

> Does Asterisk can send call to peer without username and secret
> configuration ?

Ummm, what kind of peer? If you think security is for chumps, set the
username and password to something obvious and guessable. How about
'freecallshere' and 'freecallshere'.