[asterisk-users] SIP vs Analog lines

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Tue Jul 28 19:53:06 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 8:18 PM, John F. Ervin <jervin at jervin.com> wrote:

> Never having actually rolled an Asterisk (Trixbox in my case) system into
> production.  I was wondering if in most peoples opinion if given the choice
> would rather have a straight VOIP/SIP system or would rather have a system
> with normal POTS/analog types lines and something like a digium card?  As
> far as reliability etc.  Thoughts?

POTS is generally going to be more "reliable" but you may have to wrestle
with echo and gain settings to get it working acceptably.

SIP has really grown on me, obviously the provider, your bandwidth and
management will have a huge impact on quality.

If you are going to attempt to receive faxes then you want POTS, although I
am not so sure about the status of t38 as of late.  I have seen various
threads about it being supported now.

If a customer insists on a real fax then I recommend a separate POTS line,
not attached to Asterisk at all.  No headaches...

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro