[asterisk-users] Fax for Asterisk quick question

Miguel Molina mmolina at millenium.com.co
Mon Jul 27 19:52:40 CDT 2009

Alex Balashov escribió:
> The results are most unlikely to be pleasant.
>
> arturo arturo wrote:
>

>> Hi guys, I have this question:
>>
>> Can asterisk + fax for asterisk do this ??   Send Fax on Machine A to
>> Fax machine B??
>>

>> Fax Machine A--> FXS port on digium card --> asterisk 1.6 --> Sip with
>> t.38 --> internet --> Sip with t.38 --> asterisk 1.6 --> FXS port -->
>> Fax Machine B
>>

>> I've been reading documentation for fax for asterisk, but I'll
>> appreciate if someone can clarify this to me...
>>

>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Arturo Ochoa
>> Electrosystems

AFAIK, asterisk 1.6 can do sending and receiving faxes, but no direct
T.38 gateway. That would leave your process like this:

Fax Machine A--> FXS port on digium card --> receive T.30 fax on asterisk 1.6, store and forward as T.38 fax --> Sip with
t.38 --> internet --> Sip with t.38 --> receive T.38 fax on asterisk 1.6, store and forward as T.30 fax --> FXS port -->
Fax Machine B

Counting that everything works well on the IP portion of the
communication, you might have something, but the "store and forward"
process that has to be made twice to emulate a T.38 gateway on both
asterisks would make it a very slow process to send a single fax, having
that faxing is traditionally slow. So, it's pretty much a little more
elaborate answer of "unlikely to be pleasant".  A direct T.38 gateway
for asterisk would be awesome in any case of use.

Regards,

--
Ing. Miguel Molina
Grupo de Tecnología