[asterisk-users] Asterisk on OpenWRT

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Mon Jul 27 14:05:54 CDT 2009

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, David Cook wrote:

> Yeah, have it running on several units. It's really quite simple now.
>
> - Goto System -> Packages
> - Scroll down to "Update Package List" and wait a few seconds for that puppy
> to refresh.
> - You now should have a list of "installed" packages followed by a very long
> list of "available" packages.
> - Find the asterisk version you want in the list and install it.
> - The "asterisk" package is just that, asterisk only. You will need
> "asterisk-sounds" for basic voicemail/ivr functions and you will also need
> the asterisk-voicemail package. Obviously either pick the "14" or the "16"
> tree as appropriate.
>
> -dbc.

I played with this some over the weekend, and found some interesting
things:

1) The latest 8.09 kamikaze no longer supports the Broadcom radios, so
though it installs and runs fine as a *router* on Linksys WRT54Gv2 (and
others based on Broadcom chipsets), there is no support for wifi!  Bummer.

2) I suppose this should have been clear to me from the start, but without
an external (or hacked internal) storage of some kind, running asterisk on
some of these boxes won't have room for the sounds or voicemail storage.
In fact on my WRT54Gv2, I don't seem to have room even for the base
package.  I get "error (code 4096)" when I attempt to install the
asterisk1.4.23 package.  A bit of googling seems to show that this means
there is not enough room... this box has 4MB flash and 16MB RAM.

3) OpenWRT seems to be less stable and not as mature as dd-wrt, which I
have been using for years.  The box I installed and was playing with this
weekend, now running the latest kamikaze, locks up every few hours.  The
web interface is nowhere near as featureful as dd-wrt.

So has anyone managed to squeeze asterisk onto an old Linksys WRT54G?

I just ordered two Netgear WGT634U which have USB ports.  Am hoping to
attack this again with these units, with thumb drives for storing voice
prompts, voice mail, and call recordings.  Amazing that for less than $30
I hope to have a mini full featured PBX :):)

Cheers,