[asterisk-users] using asterisk on a shared line

Tom Browning ttbrowning at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 19:42:45 CDT 2009

Shorter answer is yes :-).

This is exactly how mine runs.  The "secret" is that the copper interface
will ring a SIP extension but just exit from the dialplan on noanswer.

[main-copper]
exten => s,1,Dial(SIP/22,69)

and then nothing in my case.

Generally my wife answers using a cordless phone set that is "sharing" the
copper line with my Asterisk line card.

The other benefit is that I actually parse caller-id name and number and
optionally have Asterisk answer and torture telemarketers if there is a
match.  Otherwise it just rings my SIP extensions and will not seize the
line unless I pickup extension 22.