[asterisk-users] OT - Do analog gateways detect a phone is plugged in or out ?

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Thu Jul 23 09:33:58 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 7:50 AM, randulo <spamsucks2005 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > It certainly would seem "possible" and would be a great feature request.
> > There probably is no circuitry existing to do it, but I would assume that
> > ohms, volts, or something could be measured while sending a small amount
> of
> > voltage down the FXS lines.
>
> I read this with interest. The geek in me finds it amazing that they
> don't detect something plugged in. YOu think in the old days
> especially, it'd be easy based on what Steve says and that any
> proprietary system would do this to aid in setup and debugging, alarms
> etc.
>
> Nowadays, it might be a lot harder, although for SIP phones there are
> ways to detect any of the common ones. Druid does this during setup,
> for example.
>
> /r

It has been such a long time but I seem to remember the Definity G3 (maybe
others) were aware of the digital sets that were attached.

On the other hand, I vaguely remember specifying the set in the UI, so I am
not positive because I inherited that six cabinet beast of a beast.

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro