[asterisk-users] A reason TO run Asterisk as root

Don Kelly dk at donkelly.biz
Wed Jul 22 12:48:24 CDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Philipp
Kempgen
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 12:25 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] A reason TO run Asterisk as root

Jeff LaCoursiere schrieb:
>> 2009/7/22 Steve Edwards <asterisk.org at sedwards.com>
>>
>>> I finally found a reason TO run Asterisk as root.
>>>
>>> By default, ext[23] file systems "reserve" 5% of the filesystem for
root.

> So to rephrase it:
>
> One GOOD reason to run asterisk as root is that you get to take advantage
> of the default filesystem overflow space reserved for root.

That could just as well be a reason NOT to run Asterisk as root. :-)

    Philipp Kempgen

I think Jeff just rephrased it, not sure he endorsed it.

Seems like if an Asterisk implementation stumbles 'cause of low disk issues,
it would be good to still have the system healthy enough to be able to use
remote-management tools to recover.

--Don

Don Kelly

PCF Corp