[asterisk-users] OT - Do analog gateways detect a phone is plugged in or out ?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Jul 22 12:40:23 CDT 2009

On Wednesday 22 July 2009 11:07:32 Steve Underwood wrote:
> Olivier wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got a general question about analog gateways (Xorcom, Audiocodes,
> > Patton, ...) .
> > Is it usual for analog gateways to detect when an analog phone is
> > plugged in or out ?
> > If positive, would it be then useful to send "qualify" queries for
> > each connect phone (I'm implying here that an analog gateway would
> > then reply appropriately for qualify query.
>
> Unless there is a call in progress the switch has no idea what phones
> might be plugged or unplugged. Nothing happens on the line what it could
> detect.

Yes, but on the other side of the switch, a station can detect battery.  This
is what the Digium analog cards do in order to report whether a line is in
"red alarm" status or not.  Whether the analog gateways do this or not is
another question entirely, but it's certainly possible.

--
Tilghman & Teryl
with Peter, Cottontail, Midnight, Thumper, & Johnny (bunnies)