[asterisk-users] A reason TO run Asterisk as root

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Wed Jul 22 11:52:20 CDT 2009

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, Olivier wrote:

> 2009/7/22 Steve Edwards <asterisk.org at sedwards.com>
>
>> I finally found a reason TO run Asterisk as root.
>>
>> By default, ext[23] file systems "reserve" 5% of the filesystem for root.
>
> Do you imply this default can (and should) be changed ?
> Is it the same for other filesystems ?

No - I think you are all getting his intention wrong.  He is saying that
it is a GOOD thing, and that you get a warning before the disk fills and
processes start crashing.

If you run asterisk as 'asterisk', then this holdover percentage (I
actually thought the default was 10%) is not accessible by the asterisk
process, and once the filesystem hits 100% the process might crash.

So to rephrase it:

One GOOD reason to run asterisk as root is that you get to take advantage
of the default filesystem overflow space reserved for root.