[asterisk-users] Truecall

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Sat Jul 18 05:00:12 CDT 2009

Why would "he" mention what software is used?

My old school answering machine doesn't mention what OS it uses, nor do my
cordless phones.

Actually, none of my consumer goods say what OS they use except maybe a
WindowsCE machine or something.

Just because it can do alot of what Asterisk "can" do, does not
automatically make it Asterisk.

First, no, they don't have to make their code available, even if it is
Asterisk or some form of GPL/Open Source, unless you purchase one.  You
cannot just demand the code.

Second, if they licensed Asterisk from Digium then they don't have to
release any code.

Finally, if all they did was add a gui and apps and code that work "with or
around" Asterisk, they don't have to release any code.

Using sockets and such, to steal Trixter's term, "A GPL condom" avoids any
issues with code.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 5:11 AM, Julian Lyndon-Smith <asterisk at dotr.com>wrote:

> What is interesting is that there is no mention of the software used -
> if it is asterisk, he would need to make the code available, no ?
>
> Julian
>
> 2009/7/18 Alan Lord (News) <alanslists at gmail.com>:
> > On 18/07/09 00:35, Gavin Henry wrote:
> >> This has to be an Asterisk based appliance no?
> >>
> >> http://www.truecall.co.uk/acatalog/trueCall_Features.html
> >
> > I saw this on the TV the other night. Couldn't believe how the "dragons"
> > all thought it was such a cool idea.
> >
> > I was shouting at the telly saying "You could do that with Asterisk very
> > easily"...
> >
> > Granted, if he's made the box, built it on an embedded SoC device then
> > fair play, but he needs to have something Unique or anyone can do it.
> >
> > Alan

Thanks,
Steve Totaro
+18887771888 (Toll Free)