[asterisk-users] Skill based routing

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Fri Jul 17 12:40:04 CDT 2009

Rupert Utteridge - Digital Techniques (Austalia) Limited wrote:
> We are trying to implement skill based routing for agents in a support
> centre based on the agent login. Has anyone had any experience with this
> and what was the outcome?
>
> Can anyone share their ideas on this?

I haven't built it yet, but have the idea of just using Local channels, placed
in a queue, which when a call comes into the queue sets some channel variables
(and making them transitive so they are available on the other side), then when
the Queue calls the Local channel, to perform lookups from the set variables
that verifies the call should be sent to the agent.

If so, then it allows the call to go through and uses the Dial() in the Local
channel to call the agent. Otherwise, it just hangs up, which then places the
call back into the Queue, and will then just find a new agent.

I'm sure there are a few other ways to do it, and there may be some
disadvantages to my idea, but it seems pretty straight forward :)

Leif Madsen.
http://www.leifmadsen.com
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/asterisk