[asterisk-users] AGI to announce temperature from weather.com XML file

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Fri Jul 17 12:27:44 CDT 2009

Trevor Hammonds wrote:
> I would like to have the ability to have Asterisk announce the temperature
> -- not using TTS -- within the dialplan.
>
> For a non-Asterisk project, I have a cron job that periodically pulls down
> an XML file from weather.com containing local weather data (TWC's user
> agreement requires that data be cached locally).  Using sed, I also create a
> text file that contains only the numeric value of the current temperature,
> created from that XML file (e.g. <tmp>65</tmp> in the XML file becomes a
> text file with 65 as its only contents).
>
> I am hoping someone on the list has an example of a lightweight AGI script
> that I may modify to either read the simple text file and set a dialplan
> variable to the current temperature, or hopefully a more-sophisticated one
> which will parse the XML file to set the dialplan variable.
>
> The end goal is to have Asterisk play the speech files "temperature" "sixty"
> "five" "degrees" or the equivalent non-English files per the channel's
> current language setting.
>
> Thank you.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Since your problem came up on the VoIP Users Conference today, it ended up being
the basis for a blog post I wrote today.

The blog post (which may solve your problem) is available here:

http://leifmadsen.wordpress.com/2009/07/17/howto-read-a-value-from-a-file-and-say-it-back/

Let me know if that works for you -- just respond on the comments section since
I don't always check this users list.

Note: I haven't actually tested the dialplan yet, so if someone can test it for
errors, let me know if you run into any, and I'll update the blog post with any
that may be found.

Thanks!
Leif Madsen.
http://www.leifmadsen.com