[asterisk-users] Skill based routing

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Jul 17 02:03:29 CDT 2009

Rupert Utteridge - Digital Techniques (Austalia) Limited wrote:

> We are trying to implement skill based routing for agents in a support
> centre based on the agent login. Has anyone had any experience with this
> and what was the outcome?

It can't really be done using Asterisk queues, unless you want to create
a large number of queues for every relevant skill factor and have agents
join various combinations of these simultaneously--which would take
quite a bit of dial plan and/or AGI logic to pull off.  Plus, that
doesn't scale any given queue beyond one host.

I suggest you look into using FastAGI[1] to simulate the queue
experience by generating hold music and announcements without actually
using Asterisk queues per se.  This is quite possible to do, and, this
allows you to distribute queues across multiple hosts, as well as
distribute calls within those queues by whatever logic you choose.  No
shoehorning--just write it yourself.

-- Alex

[1] Yes, FastAGI.  Not local AGI.  And most especially not in PHP;
     contrary to a lot of the info out there, PHP could not possibly
     be a less suitable language in which to write AGI scripts.  I
     don't know who comes up with these lavish heights of mediocrity.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems