[asterisk-users] early-dial SIP 484 "incomplete address", dialplan patterns and international calls

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 16 11:51:21 CDT 2009

Hi,

I would like to know if someone can suggest me an efficient way of writing a dialplan to match "variable-length" international calls when using SIP clients with the "early dial" or 484 feature.

What I usually do for clients that do NOT "early dial" is define something like this in my outbound context:

For local calls (they fortunately have a fixed length):
exten => _0ZXXXXXXXX, ...

For international numbers (variable length:
exten => _000ZX., ...

etc.

However, as you can expect, "early dial" phones will work fine for local calls but will fail for international numbers because Asterisk will start dialing out as soon as it matches, say, 00044, and ignore the digits sent afterwards.

What would be the most efficient dialplan solution for a mixed client environment. Should my "_000ZX." logic have to "wait for digits until timeout"?

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Vieri