[asterisk-users] Asterisk Segmentation Faults Using Skinny (v1.6.0.10)

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Fri Jul 10 18:06:08 CDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Wayne <Wayne at planetwayne.com> wrote:

> Sorry to bump my own message - but had a mail server problem so don't
> know if I missed any replys :(
> Ta
> Wayne.
>

> Wayne wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I've just built a new installation of CentOS release 5.3 (Final) and
> > have installed both
> > <
> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/releases/asterisk-1.6.1.1.tar.gz
> >Asterisk
> > 1.6.1.1 and subsequently Asterisk 1.6.0.10 (thinking that I was maybe
> > trying to be too cutting edge) on a Dell PowerEdge sc440 server (nothing
> > complex - Pentium Dual core 2ghz - 1gb ram - 70gb sata hd).
> >
> > The setup at this point is real simple with one Cisco 7960 phone
> > registering with Asterisk using Skinny.
> >
> > I'm finding that simple things as pressing any of the buttons on the
> > phone is enough to cause Asterisk to randomly restart from a
> > segmentation fault.
> >
> > I've tried this with 1.6.1.1 and, after recompiling and replacing,
> 1.6.0.10.
> >
> > I followed
> >
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/CentOS+5.2+and+Asterisk+1.6.x+installation
> > as a basis for installation leaving out things I didnt want to set up
> > (odbc / web admin ).
> >
> > The only thing that didn't seem to go too well was the setup Dahdi
> > (dahdi-linux-2.2.0.1). Although I can do a 'make' and 'make install',
> > 'make config' didnt work and there are no etc/dahdi/ directory to change
> > any config files (as suggested by the guide). This may not be related
> > but just in case I thought I would mention it.
> >

> > This is from the console after pressing the 'speaker' button a couple of
> > times.
> >
> >  /usr/sbin/safe_asterisk: line 146: 21513 Segmentation fault      (core
> > dumped) nice -n $PRIORITY ${ASTSBINDIR}/asterisk -f ${CLIARGS}
> > ${ASTARGS} >&/dev/${TTY} < /dev/${TTY}
> > Asterisk ended with exit status 139
> > Asterisk exited on signal EXITSTATUS-128.
> > Automatically restarting Asterisk.
> >

> > If I don't use the phone, Asterisk will stay running.
> > I can dial the 1000 test extension along with the 500 inter-asterisk
> > test, these seem to work as expected as long as I dial the number and
> > hit 'dial' on the phone rather than selecting the line and trying to
> > dial each digit in turn. If I try that then at some random point (but
> > not always) Asterisk will fault.
> >
> > The firmware version on the phone is 7.2 to which I've had this phone
> > and several others running off a 1.2 setup for years (using
> > chan_skinny?) but thought it time to update Asterisk.
> >

> > Anyone have any pointers please on what to check next?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Wayne

If you are set on "beta" then read no further then the next line.

File a bug report with a core dump.

OK opinion time.

Your server is more than adequate.

For my tastes, you are beyond bleeding edge on the Asterisk front.

Simply my opinion but if this is going to be a "real" "production" "server"
or something you want to use reliably then I would suggest.

1.4.Latest Zaptel
1.4.19 Asterisk (if infact that is the last version that had chan_zap and
not DAHDI)
1.4.Current LibPRI
--
Thanks,