[asterisk-users] Asterisk Segmentation Faults Using Skinny (v1.6.0.10)

Wayne Wayne at planetWayne.com
Thu Jul 9 17:10:30 CDT 2009

Hi all,
I've just built a new installation of CentOS release 5.3 (Final) and
have installed both
<http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/releases/asterisk-1.6.1.1.tar.gz>Asterisk
1.6.1.1 and subsequently Asterisk 1.6.0.10 (thinking that I was maybe
trying to be too cutting edge) on a Dell PowerEdge sc440 server (nothing
complex - Pentium Dual core 2ghz - 1gb ram - 70gb sata hd).

The setup at this point is real simple with one Cisco 7960 phone
registering with Asterisk using Skinny.

I'm finding that simple things as pressing any of the buttons on the
phone is enough to cause Asterisk to randomly restart from a
segmentation fault.

I've tried this with 1.6.1.1 and, after recompiling and replacing, 1.6.0.10.

I followed
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/CentOS+5.2+and+Asterisk+1.6.x+installation
as a basis for installation leaving out things I didnt want to set up
(odbc / web admin ).

The only thing that didn't seem to go too well was the setup Dahdi
(dahdi-linux-2.2.0.1). Although I can do a 'make' and 'make install',
'make config' didnt work and there are no etc/dahdi/ directory to change
any config files (as suggested by the guide). This may not be related
but just in case I thought I would mention it.

This is from the console after pressing the 'speaker' button a couple of
times.

 /usr/sbin/safe_asterisk: line 146: 21513 Segmentation fault      (core
dumped) nice -n $PRIORITY ${ASTSBINDIR}/asterisk -f ${CLIARGS}
${ASTARGS} >&/dev/${TTY} < /dev/${TTY}
Asterisk ended with exit status 139
Asterisk exited on signal EXITSTATUS-128.
Automatically restarting Asterisk.

If I don't use the phone, Asterisk will stay running.
I can dial the 1000 test extension along with the 500 inter-asterisk
test, these seem to work as expected as long as I dial the number and
hit 'dial' on the phone rather than selecting the line and trying to
dial each digit in turn. If I try that then at some random point (but
not always) Asterisk will fault.

The firmware version on the phone is 7.2 to which I've had this phone
and several others running off a 1.2 setup for years (using
chan_skinny?) but thought it time to update Asterisk.

Anyone have any pointers please on what to check next?

Thanks,
Wayne