[asterisk-users] PRI failover to SIP trunk

Jason Martin jmartin at metrixmatrix.com
Thu Jul 9 15:37:10 CDT 2009

Hello,

I've found a little documentation on voip-info and on the asterisk-
users list, although I was hoping for an example of a tried-and-true
failover setup between PRI and SIP.

We are an outgoing call center that uses asterisk 1.4 connected to 2
PRIs from the local telephone company in one group (g1) and a SIP
trunk from bandwidth.com. The PRIs are the primary outgoing service,
however we have been experiencing some issues where one or both of
them can fail randomly. We are working with the telephone company to
have this resolved.

In the meantime, we want to have a good failover solution where if
both PRIs fail, asterisk will dial out through the SIP trunk. I've
found solutions as simple as two Dial commands one after the other,
and others where the failover Dial is in a  jump to CONGESTION.
Unfortunately we don't have a testing environment, so the solution
really has to work.

Does anyone else on the list have a PRI to VoIP failover setup that's
worked for them in a high volume environment?

Thanks!

Jason Martin
Metrix Matrix, Inc.
785 Elmgrove Rd, Bldg 1