[asterisk-users] Using a mobile phone via USB as an extension

Alex Villací­s Lasso a_villacis at palosanto.com
Thu Jul 9 13:41:28 CDT 2009

Nick Hill escribio':
> Hello Sasa
>
> The page you point to doesn't talk about USB connectivity for chan_mobile. It
> does talk about bluetooth connectivity, which can be achieved by way of a USB
> bluetooth dongle, but that is not the same thing.
>
> I am talking about using standard interfaces exposed by mobile devices (mobile
> phones or USB dongles), exposed via USB, to establish voice calls as an
> extension to asterisk. And examining whether the standard CDC modem interface or
> any other standard interface generally carries the required commands.
>
> There are several potential benefits to using the USB approach:
> 1) Devices will be immune to interference from other 2.4Ghz devices. Bluetooth
> is prone.
> 2) Potentially better call quality. Using bluetooth, the call will need to be
> converted from the VOIP codec, to PCM then to the bluetooth codec then to the
> over-the-air mobile codec (GSM), with associated latency. There may be a
> possibility of cutting one of these conversions.
> 3) This could be used with a USB data dongle interface, which are cheap,
> relatively simple, and are powered from the USB port. They also generally offer
> great sensitivity over the air.
> 4) The bluetooth approach is dependent on a working (bug-free) bluetooth stack,
> with specific hardware, which may or may not be available.
> 5) less software and hardware needed in the chain, so potentially more
> maintainable and reliable.
>

> The bluetooth approach has some advantages:
> 1) The bluetooth interface is standardised and any device should theoretically
> work with any other of the given generation. The required codecs, for example,
> are well defined. (in practice, this isn't the case - for example, the Nokia E65
> is bluetooth capable and doesn't work, and the chan_mobile is fussy about which
> bluetooth dongles you use).
> 2) Even if the USB interface does provide necessary interfaces for voice
> telephony, they may not be well tested. (buggy). We don't know - but then, the
> bluetooth approach is, in practice, hardware dependent also.
> 3) Bluetooth dongles are "swallowed" by a mobile phone. One dongle needed for
> each phone/channel. (they are cheap, but may have other ramifications).
>
> Someone may have investigated the USB approach already and discounted it. Or if
> not, it may be worth further examination.
>
> Carlos indicates that USB support may be available in chan_mobile but I can't
> find any references to it, and I think Oliver is looking for more info as well.
>

> Sasa Bobek wrote:
>
>> Just google/bing it. http://voip-info.org/wiki/view/chan_mobile
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Olivier <oza-4h07 at myamail.com
>> <mailto:oza-4h07 at myamail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     2009/7/2 Carlos Ruiz Diaz <carlos.ruizdiaz at gmail.com
>>     <mailto:carlos.ruizdiaz at gmail.com>>
>>
>>         Check chan_mobile. Now is mature enough to be used in a server
>>         with low CPS.
> [...]
There are some links about a module called chan_sebi that can use some
Huawei USB dongles as a voice interface (in Spanish):

http://odicha.wordpress.com/2009/06/30/chan_sebi-1-que-como-y-por-que/

http://odicha.wordpress.com/2009/06/30/chan_sebi-2-trasteando-con-el-codigo/

--
perl -e '$x=2.3;printf("%.0f + %.0f = %.0f\n",$x,$x,$x+$x);'