[asterisk-users] Using a mobile phone via USB as an extension

Nick Hill t0 at nickhill.co.uk
Thu Jul 9 04:19:37 CDT 2009

Hello Ishfaq

I have used Fring, but I don't believe it is capable of initiating GSM calls
from VOIP.

As I understand it, Fring does

VOIP--->Data bearer --->Fring----->Microphone/speaker
         (wifi, 3G data)

I am proposing

\|/

3G/GSM----<>---Asterisk

the <> bit can be achieved now using Bluetooth with specific bluetooth dongles
and specific handsets. USB especially using a USB 3G/GSM dongle would be a
neater, and potentially more reliable solution.

If there were standard protocols which can be used over the USB GSM modem
interface which can be used to set the device to receive voice calls and send
them over the USB interface, and to establish a voice call via the USB
interface, this could potentially be a neat solution.

However, I guess that even if a lot of equipment nominally supports such an
interface, it may not be well tested. Interesting for a hack.