[asterisk-users] Automatic Gain Control

Brent Davidson brent at texascountrytitle.com
Wed Jul 8 12:07:40 CDT 2009

Danny Nicholas wrote:
> If you are using a large number of DAHDI channels, you could designate a
> chunk of them as "non-local" since you can control RXGAIN on each channel.
> You would have to work out something with your TELCO since your'e a dead
> duck control-wise once you answer the call.

Yuck.  I could see that being a temporary workaround, but it is not a
good permanent solution.  And even as a workaround it wouldn't work for
my application.  Each of our remote offices normally only has 1 employee
(2 at most) and 2 incoming lines in a rollover setup.

I know I've probably asked this before but which parameters do txgain
and rx gain control?  I've heard conflicting explanations.  Looking at
it from a telco equipment standpoint I would say rxgain should be the
gain on the sound received from the far end of the PSTN and txgain is
the sound leaving the TDM card over the PSTN.  But I've seen a couple of
explanations say that rxgain sets the volume of sound flowing into the
zap/dahdi module from other channels and that txgain sets the volume
flowing out of the zap module to other modules.  That would have the
effect of reversing what seems like logical functions and make rxgain
actually control the volume being sent out to the PSTN and txgain set
the volume coming in from the PSTN.  I have not had opportunity to run
any tests to verify for myself which explanation is correct.