[asterisk-users] Caller ID (name) - where does it come from?

Trevor Peirce tpeirce at digitalcon.ca
Wed Jul 8 00:47:54 CDT 2009

Barry D. Hassler wrote:
> So how does Teliax (for instance) go about getting their client's
> information into these directories? Do they establish a relationship
> with someone like TargusInfo (described above)?
>
> How do other ITSP's provide this service, or do they ignore it as well?

Yes, either they will work with Targus, Versign, etc who do commercial
CNAM hosting, or they work with their CLEC partner who would presumably
already have such an agreement in place.

It's my understanding that with an LOA from your CLEC or ILEC (kind of
the opposite of the LOA you need to port a number), you can have your
own CNAM records hosting with one of the companies listed above and make
money.  We're talking a fraction of a cent per call so unless you have
many DIDs and many more calls, it's not usually worthwhile.

Most smaller ITSPs either don't know how this or don't have the volume
to make it feasible.

In Canada, we just include the name in the SS7 signaling on a per-call
basis and bypass this whole mess :)

Best regards,

--
Trevor Peirce