[asterisk-users] Caller ID (name) - where does it come from?

Karl Fife karlfife at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 13:27:06 CDT 2009

The Caller ID name, "CNAM" is a separate database owned and maintained
"cooperatively" by the bell operating companies.

Your ITSP is not doing these CNAM lookups for you because they would have to
pay the BOC's for the 'dips' into the CNAM database.  CNAM is a little cash
cow that the BOC's are quick to protect.  As such CNAM dips may not be
cached or re-sold as a term service that you must agree to with your CNAM
provider.

As far as solving your CNAM problem, you would need to either choose an ITSP
that will provide you with CNAM data on a per-call basis, OR you need to do
CNAM dips yourself as I (and many others) do.  Beware that some ITSP's
provide "best-effort" name data culled from various sources.  It's not
always terrible but it's not 'coke' it's more like 'dollar store' cola. :-)

As a call comes in to your dial plan you can populate the CALLERID(name)
channel variable using the CURL function in your dialplan as so:
exten =>
s,n,Set(CALLERID(name)=${CURL(http://cnam1.edicentral.net/getcnam?q=C&f=S&dn=${CALLERID(num)})})

AND let's not forget the completely separate issue with getting your
ITSP-provisioned number ENTERED INTO the CNAM database in the first place,
so people see "Karl Fife" rather than the "city, state" or worse, some
string of arcane LATA information.  There's a solution to this problem too
but I digress...

I've posted my personal notes below from about 18 months ago when I was
searchign for CNAM providers:

-Karl

CNAM  PROVIDRES:

Metrostat.com
about 1.5¢ per dip,
$30 minimum deposit, refundable
CNAM service not well documented on web site
A registerd CLEC

Got Name - Out of business?
1.5¢ per dip. no minimums, no setup

ClearReach Networks
.67¢ per dip $200 monthly minimum, resell ok, significant setup fees

411xml.com
more expensive than ClearReach.